FARMINGTON — Mark Chavez was fatally shot 20 seconds after he confronted Farmington Police Sgt. Shawn Scott on New Year's Day.

Details on the shooting outside the Chavez home on Loma Linda Avenue were included in material provided by police after a Daily Times request.

Scott's patrol car dashboard camera and a microphone police officers wear on their belt captured the short interaction between Scott and Chavez.

A man with a prepaid cell phone called 911 at 3:30 p.m.


and said a crazy man in a blue shirt killed a woman at a residence on Loma Linda. Police believe Chavez made the call but there was no evidence a woman was killed.

Scott was the first officer to arrive on scene seven minutes later.

He entered the driveway at 3:38 p.m. and Chavez appeared at his front door. Scott asked how things were going but then saw Chavez had a black, steel pipe in his hand and blood on his shirt.

Scott ordered Chavez on the ground and Chavez came out of the home wielding the pipe.

He approached Scott and said in a slurred voice: "Be ready. Be ready,"

Then Chavez said: "Do it. Do it. Do it now."

Scott backed up as Chavez walked toward him.

"I'll light you up," Scott yelled.

Scott first shoots Chavez with a Taser and Chavez grunted and said: "That ain't going to work."

Chavez, still clutching the pipe, made one final lunge at Scott just as more police cars arrived on the block. Scott shot him three times at 3:39 p.m.

Chavez was shot in the leg and torso and died that day.

Police declined to address whether Chavez was trying to goad Scott into shooting him.

"I'm not going to project an opinion on what (Chavez) was thinking," Farmington police Sgt. Joshua Laino said. "Clearly it shows an agitated and animated man and he was armed and prepared for police to arrive."

New Mexico State Police Lt. Tim Johnson said Scott didn't mention provocation as an explanation during his interview with state police, the agency handling the official investigation into the shooting.

"I can't comment on what (Chavez) was thinking. Obviously we interviewed Sgt. Scott but we didn't get to interview" Chavez, Johnson said. Chavez "made us think he directed police over to the residence for one reason or another."

Farmington police officers swarmed the scene after the shooting. Some officers ran inside the home and others blocked off the area with crime-scene tape.

Scott ordered officers to move their cars to make it easier for paramedics to get to the house.

At one point he appears to be kneeling next to Chavez and said to nearby officers: "Help me here. I want to see some life saving."

Scott said to Chavez: "Come on buddy, come on breath for me."

One officer asks Scott if he shot Chavez with a Taser.

"I hit him with a Taser and it didn't work and I shot him," Scott barked.

Other officers take over trying to revive Chavez and Scott walks back to his patrol car.

"I don't want the younger guys to see me like this," he said to one officer. "Dammit why does this got to happen."

The ambulance arrived on the scene at 3:45 p.m., six minutes after Chavez was shot.

The District Attorneys Office has said it plans to present the evidence of the shooting to a grand jury, which will rule on whether or not the shooting was justified.

Reached by phone Friday, Chavez's family declined to comment on the incident.

It was the third time in Scott's career that he shot a suspect. Two of the shootings have been fatal and Farmington police and an outside agency found the first two shootings to be justified.

Scott returned to the police department a little more than three weeks after the shooting on restrictive duty. He is currently doing a 10-week, out-of-town training program that he was scheduled to complete before the shooting, police said.

Scott joined the Farmington Police Department in 1996.

Ryan Boetel may be reached at; 505-564-4644. Follow him on Twitter @rboetel