FARMINGTON — A 29-year-old man was killed when his Farmington mobile home caught fire early Friday morning.

Firefighters pulled Broderick Johnson from his burning home but couldn't save his life, according to a police report.

A fire was reported at 12:30 a.m. on Friday at the El Rey Mobile Home Park, 2300 W. Apache St., Farmington Fire Department Chief Terry Page said. Firefighters found 15-to 20-foot flames engulfing the west wall of the mobile home.

When firefighters arrived they started evacuating neighbors and fighting the blaze.

“There was so many people on the scene, it was a little crazy,” Battalion Chief Nick Mrzlak said.

Firefighters knocked down the fire about two minutes after arriving on scene and did a search of the home and found Johnson inside. He was lying on the floor in the middle of the home. He wasn't in the room that was on fire, Mrzlak said.

Johnson never appeared coherent as firefighters worked to save his life.

He was taken by ambulance to San Juan Regional Medical Center where he died.

Darcie Lewis, 24, also lived in the home with Johnson.

According to police reports, she said that she and Johnson were drinking vodka in the mobile home.

Police took Lewis to the police department early Friday morning, but she was too intoxicated to be interviewed. Her blood alcohol content was .398, according to a preliminary breathalyzer test. Police took her to Four Winds Recovery Center for the night.

She told investigators Friday afternoon she tried to wake up Johnson when the home caught fire but could not. She ran to a neighbor's house and called police, Farmington police Det. Robert Pimentel said.

“I don't suspect foul play at this time but it's still under investigation,” Pimentel said.
One man was killed in a fire early Friday morning at the El Rey mobile home park in Farmington.
One man was killed in a fire early Friday morning at the El Rey mobile home park in Farmington. (Jon Austria/The Daily Times)

Kathleen Werito, who lives in the mobile home five spaces down from Johnson and Lewis, was inside her home when she smelled smoke.

“The next thing you know we heard people yelling, ‘Get up, get up, hurry up,'” she said.

Werito said neighbors in surrounding homes were evacuated and watched as firefighters pulled Johnson from his home.

“They tried to revive him, but he was gone, poor guy,” she said. “It's sad.”

Mrzlak said the cause of the fire is under investigation. Firefighters found the fire's point of origin on the floor of a room on the west side of the trailer, and evidence from that spot will be closely examined.
Farmington police are also investigating the fire because there was a death.

“There were no smoke detectors in the house,” Mrzlak said. “In a situation like this, things might have changed if there were smoke detectors.”

Ryan Boetel can be reached at; 505-564-4644. Follow him on Twitter @rboetel.