Danielle Smiley
Danielle Smiley (Courtesy of San Juan County Adult Detention Center)

FARMINGTON — A Farmington woman was charged with murder last week after police linked a woman's death in Minnesota in May to an assault that happened in Farmington in April.

Danielle Smiley, 31, was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder, kidnapping and aggravated battery on July 31 in connection to Danielle Dixon's death.

Police said Smiley assaulted Dixon on April 3 in Farmington. Danielle Dixon, 28, suffered broken ribs, a broken nose and a concussion. She then struggled from several complications because of her injuries and died on May 10, said Georgette Allen, a public information officer for Farmington police.

An autopsy on May 11 listed her cause of death as blunt force trauma, according to court documents.

Police said the assault happened at Samantha Slowman-Subia's trailer, located on Cardinal Street near Troy King Road. Dixon was living with Slowman-Subia at the time.

Smiley was mad at Dixon because Dixon took $20 from Smiley's father to buy him drugs but never did, according to the documents.

Dixon was in a bed shortly after midnight on April 3 when Smiley pulled her into the living room and started punching her. A witness to the assault told police that Danielle Smiley started "to go overboard." She punched Dixon about 20 times in the head and face, and when someone pulled Smiley off Dixon, she allegedly kicked her about three times in the ribs, according to the documents.

Dixon went to San Juan Regional Medical Center later that day and was treated for injuries. A Farmington police officer interviewed her at the hospital, but Dixon declined to press charges, according to a police news release.

"She looked pretty rough ... but I didn't realize it was as bad as it was," said Wade Dixon, Danielle Dixon's father, in a phone interview Tuesday.

On April 8, Danielle Dixon moved to Rosebud, S.D., 8 to live with her mother. A day later she was treated at the Rosebud Indian Hospital for chest pain. She was discharged that same day, and on April 18, she was taken to the hospital by ambulance because she was having trouble breathing, according to the documents.

A doctor diagnosed her with pneumonia, acute renal failure, hepatitis and thrombocytopenia, which is a reduced platelet count, according to court documents. Allen said investigators worked to determine that those medical conditions stemmed from the Farmington assault.

Dixon was transported to San Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Minn., where she stayed in intensive care until her death on May 10.

Allen said Farmington police investigated the case from April through Smiley's arrest on July 31.

Smiley is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing on Wednesday morning.

Ryan Boetel covers crime for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4644 and rboetel@daily-times.com. Follow him @rboetel on Twitter.