Leilah Hastings
Leilah Hastings (Courtesy of Farmington Police Department)

FARMINGTON — The 17-month-year-old boy who was hospitalized because of alleged child abuse died last week while in hospice care.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Dustin O'Brien confirmed that Izakia Davis died Oct. 16.

Before the child's death, a Farmington couple was arrested on suspicion of child abuse, and prosectors are now determining whether additional charges will be filed.

Izakia was hospitalized Sept. 18. He was rushed from an eye appointment at the New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired to the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque because staff at the school said he was in "horrible" condition, according to court documents.

Angel Arellano
Angel Arellano (Courtesy of Farmington Police Department)

He later was transferred from the hospital to hospice. That happened after doctors reviewed his case and ruled there was nothing they could medically do for the child, according to court documents.

Izakia had a skull fracture, fluid on the brain and multiple broken bones and he needed a ventilator to breath, according to court documents. He had limited brain stem functioning, and he died late Wednesday night.

His guardians, Angel Arellano, 23, and Leilah Hastings, 21, were arrested Sept. 27 on suspicion of child abuse. They were charged with a first-degree felony for child abuse resulting in great bodily harm.

Arellano was Izakia's biological father, and Hastings was Arellano's fiancee. Each of them declined to speak with investigators, and they were charged with the same crime and each held on a $750,000 bond, according to court documents.

Arellano is still being held on the same bond and is facing first-degree felony charges.

In exchange for Hastings waiving her preliminary hearing, prosecutors last week reduced her charge to a third-degree felony, and her bond was lowered to $7,500.

She was released from jail on Oct. 16, according to court documents.

Prosecutors had enough evidence for a third-degree charge, but not for a first-degree charge, O'Brien said. He said district attorneys will review Izakia's autopsy report and medical information, and charges can be amended if more evidence comes to light.

"In my opinion, they were both responsible for his care and well-being, and they clearly failed to provide him with any care," Farmington police Detective Heath Chavez said.

As of Wednesday, no one had been charged with homicide in Izakia's death.

"We have to show the cause of death is attributed to the defendants' actions," O'Brien said.

Sept. 18 marked the second time the toddler was hospitalized in recent months.

In May, Izakia was rushed to San Juan Regional Medical Center and then UNMH because he suffered from a lack of oxygen.

He was permanently blinded at a result of that injury.

Police investigated that incident, but doctors couldn't determine what caused him to suffer a lack of oxygen, and no one was arrested, Chavez said.

A New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department investigator had been meeting with Arellano and Hastings since his May hospitalization.

The investigator met with Hastings and Izakia a day before the boy was hospitalized in September and reported that Izakia didn't look normal. The investigator ordered Hastings to take Izakia to the hospital at that time. Hastings did not follow that order, according to court documents.

Ryan Boetel covers crime for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4644 and rboetel@daily-times.com. Follow him on Twitter @rboetel on Twitter.