FARMINGTON — U.S. Marshals on Tuesday arrested a man suspected of shooting a 39-year-old man to death early Sunday morning at a Farmington apartment on North Butler Avenue, according to Farmington police.

Federal agents arrested Mark Hinojos, 24, on Tuesday evening at San Juan Apartments, 2614 E. 20th St., said Georgette Allen, a Farmington police spokeswoman.

A warrant charging Hinojos with second-degree murder in connection to Randy McKenzie's death was issued late Monday.

McKenzie's body was found late Monday night near an oil field road in Crouch Mesa. He had been shot in the chest early Sunday at the Farmington apartment during a birthday party, and his body was dumped in the isolated area of San Juan County, according to court documents. His sister reported the shooting to police on Sunday afternoon after learning about the incident via Facebook.


Farmington police Detective Sgt. Brandon Lane said Hinojos was arrested without incident and declined to speak to police.

He was booked into jail on the murder charge and on suspicion of tampering with evidence and conspiracy to tamper with evidence.

He is being held on a $750,000 cash-only bond, Allen said. Magistrate Judge Mark Hawkinson cited public safety and assurance of appearance in court as reasons for giving Hinojos a cash-only bond, according to court documents.

Hinojos, who police said is a confirmed gang member, has been in and out of jail since he was 20 years old.

Jail records showed that his arrest Tuesday was the 18th time he has been booked into the San Juan County Adult Detention Center since February 2009. He had nine pending felony charges against him the night he allegedly shot and killed McKenzie.

Most of Hinojos' arrests were for misdemeanors and failing to appear in court to face those citations. For most of the charges, he spent less than a week in jail. At one point, he served two months in jail.

The first time Hinojos was booked into the San Juan County Adult Detention Center was when he was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery on a household member on Feb. 21, 2009. He spent the night in jail and posted bond the next day. Over the next 13 months, he was booked and released from jail five more times for failing to appear and contempt of court, according to jail records.

From September 2010 to January 2013, Hinojos was booked and released from jail seven times. Two of the arrests were on suspicion of driving with a suspended or revoked license and shoplifting charges. The other five arrests were for allegedly failing to appear or contempt of court, according to jail records.

Hinojos' first felony charge was in 2013. He was arrested in April on suspicion of kidnapping, conspiracy, armed robbery and aggravated burglary. He served a little more than two months in jail before he was released. He is scheduled to go to trial on those charges in February.

On Oct. 10, Hinojos was arrested while allegedly driving a vehicle with nearly a pound of methamphetamine, according to court documents. He was charged with four felonies in that case and was in jail for eight days before he bonded out.

On Nov. 2, he was arrested on suspicion of possession of methamphetamines, which is a felony. He posted bond after 10 hours in jail.

San Juan County Chief Deputy District Attorney Dustin O'Brien said prosecutors had filed a motion to revoke Hinojos' conditions of release, but the motion hadn't been heard at the time of this weekend's shooting.

The shooting took place early Sunday during a party for Hinojos at Sabrina Pacheco and Cindy Haston's apartment at 3986 N. Butler Ave.

There was a fight between McKenzie and another man, who was identified in court documents only as "Jaime."

A witness told police that people at the party broke up the fight, McKenzie and the man he was fighting shook hands, and then Hinojos drew a handgun and shot McKenzie in the chest, according to court documents.

Police said in court documents that after the shooting, Hinojos, Pacheco, Angel Barney Mares, "Jaime" and another woman drove McKenzie's body to a dirt road about three miles east of county roads 350 and 5030 in Crouch Mesa, where he was left nearly naked on a small hill.

Pacheco, 46, and Mares, 33, were arrested Monday evening on suspicion of tampering with evidence and conspiracy to tamper with evidence for their role in hiding the body, Lane said.

Pacheco, Mares and Orlando Johnson, of Crouch Mesa, spent about three hours on Monday in a trailer on County Road 5572 during a standoff with the several law enforcement agencies, including the Farmington SWAT team.

After the SWAT team left, Pacheco came out to talk to detectives and was arrested. Mares and Johnson fled from the trailer and were tracked by the San Juan County Sheriff's Office helicopter and quickly arrested, Lane said.

Johnson was not charged with a crime in connection to McKenzie's death, and no other people have been charged in the death, Lane said.

Lane said that police are continuing to investigate the case and additional charges could be filed in connection to McKenzie's death or the attempted cover up.

Ryan Boetel covers crime and San Juan County for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4644 and Follow him @rboetel on Twitter.