FARMINGTON — A Top Deck bouncer pleaded guilty on Monday to an assault charge in connection to a fight in the club's parking lot in March 2012.

Tyler Black, 30, will be facing up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine for a misdemeanor conviction of battery resulting in a physical injury. He was originally charged with a third-degree felony for aggravated battery causing great bodily harm.

Black's sentencing hearing hasn't been scheduled.

Tyler Black
Tyler Black (Courtesy of San Juan County Adult Detention Center)

At 1:30 a.m. on March 18, 2012, Dustin Curley and his brother, Justin Curley, and their sister, Justina Brownhat, were leaving Top Deck, 515 E. Main St., after celebrating St. Patrick's Day. Justin Curley got into a verbal altercation with another man, and when Dustin Curley tried to separate the two men, the Curley brothers were attacked by Top Deck bouncers, according to court documents.

Black, one of the bouncers, allegedly struck Dustin Curley in his eye and caused permanent damage.

In addition to the criminal case against Black, there is also a pending civil suit that stems from the fight.

According to court documents, Dustin and Justin Curley, who are Native Americans, and their wives filed a lawsuit against five Top Deck bouncers, including Black, and Douglas Inc., which is owned by Susan and Matthew Douglas and operates Top Deck and the Copper Penny.

The lawsuit is being heard in district court. It was filed in November 2012.

The lawsuit accuses the defendants of battery, violating human rights, not having a safe premise and a loss of consortium between the Curley brothers and their wives.

The lawsuit accuses Top Deck bouncers of racially motivated beatings against Native Americans. It also accuses the business of "maintaining an atmosphere where aggression by its bouncers is not only routine, but acknowledged as part of the entertainment."

Top Deck owners and Black could not be reached for comment earlier this week.

Top Deck is a Farmington night club that sells beer and liquor. The business is open from Wednesday through Saturday night.

Though Farmington police continue to be called to the business frequently, there has been a decrease in police calls at the club in the last year.

From May 2011 to May 10, 2012, police responded to 189 calls concerning Top Deck. Twenty-nine of the calls were for fights and 12 were for batteries, according to Farmington police statistics.

From May 2012 to May 2013, police responded to 140 calls at the club. Of those, 18 were for fights and five calls were for batteries.

Ryan Boetel covers crime for The Daily Times. He can be reached at 505-564-4644 and Follow him on Twitter @rboetel on Twitter.